Welcome to a world of Strength and Fitness

Kettlebell Training is by far one of the most effective and efficient tools available. All forms of unconventional and conventional training have a place in your strength and fitness, but to us at MBody Strength, kettlebells are king! Fore more info check out MBody Strength.

Monday, February 7, 2011

How many meals for fat loss?

The first thing that people ask me when it comes to a nutrition program is “How many meals do I need to eat??” They say this with some attitude because they assume I’m going to tell them six meals (what have we learned about assuming?) which has become the standard now for fat loss, muscle gain, etc.

The first thing I have to say is that this is a very subjective topic. There are so many articles and research studies that will tell you anywhere from one to eight meals. With that said the first thing you have to ask yourself is what is good for you?

With so many diet programs and books available there’s a cookie cutter approach that tries to have mass appeal. While I’m not faulting the authors I am suggesting to those that are reading to do a little self-experimentation and not to fully jump in to one style. Find a few that look good and make them work for you.

Are you able to deal with hunger well and enjoy the feeling of intermittent fasting? Then go for it. Do you hate hunger with a passion? Then eat six small meals a day. The point is instead of blindly following something as gospel, find out if it’s something that fits your lifestyle or personality type.

I’ve played around with many different programs in the past but if I had only asked myself a few questions before getting started I would have saved a lot of time.

The key thing is it doesn’t matter how many meals you choose. It’s what you can follow consistently. Sure, recent research is showing fewer meals is better for fat loss but it doesn’t mean fat loss is impossible on 5+ meals. It’s about what works for you.

We’ve all heard it a million times and I’ve said it a million times, it could be the PERFECT nutrition plan but if it doesn’t work for you then forget about it.

I’ve dropped body fat on anywhere from 1-8 meals a day. What does this tell me? THEY ALL WORK. Like I said, sure some work better than others but it’s what works for YOU! Key word: you. The number that has worked for many of my clients as well as myself is four meals. This gives you enough space between meals to raise hunger levels and boost fat burning hormones but not so much that you’d eat your left arm. So that’s my favorite, but I still recommend you experiment with some different options. Try starting at four and work from there.

Here’s you action step (I love and hate that word. Always means someone’s gonna push me to do something, but it also means I’m getting closer to a goal)

Ask yourself what you can commit to for four weeks be it an intermittent fasting schedule or four meals a day plan. Once you decide, add the foods that will help you get those goals and take out all of the ones that will hinder you. Keep track of your results.

There you have it. Exactly how many meals works best for fat loss because personally, I’m sick and tired of article after article trying to say what the “best” number is based on some research. It always changes so instead of being at the mercy of the latest and greatest, just do what works for you.

No comments: